Last night, after attending friends' convocation, 3 graduates and I went for supper. They did reflection upon what had they done during their years in the university.


One of them shared that she wished she could have done more for God and His people. She felt it's pity that she didn't run the race consistently and with discipline and this had, in turn, short-changed the people under her care at that time. 

Another expressed that, in her years of growth as a university student, the pride in her had been a stumbling block for her to go even further for God and His kingdom. 

I thought...
One that day, I want to graduate with a big satisfied exhale, telling God, "Thank You for seeing me through these years! I've finished this stage of my life and I'm ready to move on!"

As I was reflecting through my first year in university, there had been times when I was stubborn and short-sighted, held on to what I thought was my life-time security, forgetting the fact that God knew and had what's best for me. I regretted after I was reminded of who God really was. It is as illustrated by C. S. Lewis.
"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea."
God, forgive me for I have been ignorant. 

God then put this vision in my heart. 
On the beach, there's this child who is building the sand castle. Not a while after he has finished building it, the wave comes and blows away the sand castle. Upset. He builds up another one after much effort. Not long after, the wave comes and sweeps away the whole sand castle again. Frustrated. The child keeps building the sand castle over and over again after they fall apart, swept by the wave that keeps coming back. Finally, the child is fatigued and he gives up. 

Indeed, we have all been like the child before, building up the sand castle of our career paths, impression on others, facade that covers our true weak self. God keeps sending wave to sweep them all away over and over again, reminding us that all these have no eternal significance. But like the child, we are dissatisfied, feeling insecure and frustrated, keep ignoring God and shut him out in building our own dear sand castles with effort that is labored in vain. God keeps reminding me that He has something better for me, a holiday on the sea when I'm playing with muds, something that has eternal significance and last forever. 

I am refreshed by what He has spoken to me. 
Hope it speaks to you, too :)